Monday, May 24, 2010

Head Issues

I don't know if I have postpartum depression, but some days (ok, most days) it seems like I have postpartum anxiety. I worry about C constantly. For real. The majority of my worrying came after an incident when she was just 6 weeks old.

When she was 6 weeks, I noticed a puffy spot on her head. It jiggled when you touched it. I immediately freaked out--I thought her brain was bleeding or swelling. I was home by myself, couldn't get a hold of her doctor, and was thinking the worst. So I rushed her to the ER, and Mr. McG met me there. The whole way there I kept thinking she was going to die. This probably sounds really dramatic, but that's what was running through my mind. After a brain ultrasound and talks with the doctors and neurosurgeon (scary, right?!), they discovered it was a subgaleal hemorrhage that was a result of the vacuum used at delivery. They weren't sure why it developed six weeks later because it usually occurs hours after birth. The bleed eventually went down, but since then I've been crazy obsessed with the shape of her head. Crazy being the key word, according to my husband. I really can't stop obsessing about it, and when I think back to how I thought I was losing my baby girl I cry. I was absolutely terrified.

In these pictures you can see the puffiness. We outlined it with a marker to track the progress and make sure it wasn't getting bigger.


You can see the spot under the white V on hubby's shirt.

Ok, now let's move on to today. I'm still obsessing over her head, but I think I have reason to! As you can see in the picture below, the right side (on the pic) is bulging out. The doctor said it's fine and normal, and is attributing it to her laying on her back. But her back isn't flat! It's normal. And this side isn't going down at all. So I'm freaking out again. I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm crazy about this, but I'm taking her to the doctor again and even thinking about getting a second opinion. What do you all think? Am I just being paranoid? Click on the picture to make it bigger so you can see what I'm talking about.





Labels:

5 Comments:

At May 25, 2010 at 7:20 AM , Blogger JennloveAustin said...

Nope, I don't think you are crazy at all (although you know very well that I AM CRAZY.. haha.) I'd take her for a second opinion. Often the head doesn't seal well and a lot of babies require a position helmut to help shape the head "correctly".

 
At May 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM , Blogger jill said...

i think you should do what you feel is right. if that means taking her in for a second opinion, then thats what you have to do. the hubs was in a helmet when he was a little guy too! keep us updated on how it goes.

 
At May 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Christine said...

I don't see anything from the picture, but I'm positive I too would go for a second opinion.

It certainly won't hurt to get another opinion and hopefully it will help one way or the other.

I hope you're overreacting, but only because that would mean she's fine. :) BUT, I think you should always trust your mommy instinct!

It's been known to save lives before!

Try to relax until the appt if you can. You're doing all you can for now!!

Don't ever feel bad for sticking up for your most precious cargo!

 
At May 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I can't see anything from the picture but you're her mother and I would trust your instinct. I say get a second opinion. If someone else says it's nothing then you can relax. Trust your gut mama.

 
At June 15, 2010 at 3:33 PM , Blogger Carly said...

Always trust your gut. Many doctors don't spend enough time with their patients or listen to parents concerns. This could be what's called Plagiocephaly (Flat head syndrome) here is a website you should check out http://www.cranialtech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=95&Itemid=70

My best friends son had this when he was little and he had it treated by wearing a helmet for 10 months and he is perfectly fine now. The important thing is to have him examined by the proper dr's and to go to a center where they specialize in this condition to fix it. There is a window of time to fix this though before the soft spots fuse together to avoid a very serious surgery. So don't wait. If you want any extra information I know my friend would be happy to email you.
Carly
www.WordyOwl.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home